The "Chew Kee" is a Chinese rammed earth structure established as an herb shop during the Gold Rush.
Dr. Yee Fong Cheung, an herb doctor who was operating the store in the early years, came to America to
administer to the medical needs of the Chinese miners, later also tending to the Chinese railroad workers.
In the 1880's a man known only by his store name of "Chew Kee" owned the shop and was providing groceries
and supplies to the Chinese community. By 1910, however, there were only four Chinese Americans residing
in Fiddletown. In 1922, Chew Kee deeded the property to his "adopted" son, Fong Chow Yow, also know as Jimmy
Chow. Jimmy Chow worked in Fiddletown, living in the old herb store until his death in 1965. "Chew Kee" remains
largely intact as one of only four remnants of the once thriving Chinese community in Fiddletown.
The store is open on Saturday from noon to 4 p.m., April through October.
For a virtual tour click here